Aromatherapy is becoming more widely known and used throughout the US, but what is it? Aromatherapy is when you inhale different volatile plants, also referred to as essential oils, to help with many different health conditions. Remember that use of all natural and synthetic substances should be discussed with your physician to ensure there are no negative consequences or drug interactions.
Different essential oils have different health benefits, the following are some essential oils and their health benefits:
- Increases energy levels: Cardamon, cinnamon, black pepper, tea tree, jasmine and sage are some essential oils that can help with your energy levels. Most people often lean on stimulants like coffee, energy pills, or cigarettes for a quick pick me up, but these essential oils can help without the damaging side effects on the body. These essential oils increase circulation, and stimulate the mind and body which in turn helps to boost your energy.
- Accelerates healing: Rosehip, calendula, lavender, and everlasting are all essential oils that help speed up healing processes in your body. The increased blood flow and oxygen to the wounds is what helps to speed the healing up. These essential oils have anti-microbial properties that protects the body during the healing process. It can also help relieve and reduce severity of skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
- Helps reduce headaches: Eucalyptus, sandalwood, rosemary, and peppermint are some essential oils known to help with headaches/migraines. These oils can be a great replacement for pharmaceuticals like Ibuprofen. They will not only eliminate your headache, but also help with stress and anxiety.
- Managing sleeping habits: Essential oils like lavender, chamomile, rose and jasmine have sedative properties that regulate your sleep. Lack of sleep inhibits you from performing your best on daily activities which could reduce your productiveness throughout the day. Instead of taking hypnotic or soporific drugs to help you sleep, you may want to give essential oil a try. They help realign your circadian rhythm creating a balanced sleeping schedule and has you waking up feeling more energized and refreshed.
- Stress relieving: One of the most known uses of essential oils is that helps reduce stress. Some essential oils for this are bergamot, lavender, lemon, and peppermint. These oils are very soothing and even help with anxiety.
- Boosts immune system: Oils like lemon, peppermint, cinnamon, and oregano can help boost your immune system. They have antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties.
Additional source for essential oils and cancer